27 March, 2005

Dynamis-San d'Oria Interloper

Next up on the Explorer hitlist: Dynamis-San d'Oria. ^^

Last time we went on a Dynamis run, we failed at clearing Dynamis-Bastok, which left quite a few of us puzzled, since from what the other members were saying, they had cleared Dynamis-Bastok multiple times in the past with no hitches. Things were going well until for some reason, someone got aggro, things linked, then suddenly, the entire top row of the Bastok Mines area, from the tavern to the Alchemy guild were upon us. We wiped twice before running out of time. orz

At least a pair of Sorcerer's Tonban dropped! Unfortunately, I was just 10 points shy of the BLM who got it in the end. D'OH! >_<

Anyway, back to San d'Oria. Recently, I've been trying to keep track of just what AF2 pieces I'd want. As I've mentioned earlier, the BLM AF2 set is incredibly competitive, and in the long run, it might be wiser to just save points and spend it on the pieces that I really want. From what I hear, the gloves (from Windurst) are a little bit of a disappointment, being overshowed by Zenith Mitts, while the Body piece also succumbs to the Igqira Weskit. The leg piece (Bastok) is decent--it replaces the Errant's leg piece, but it isn't anything to get really excited over. That then leaves the Sorcerer's Sabots (Feet, from Jeuno), which I suppose is nice, but again, nothing too fancy.

The real kicker, on the other hand, is the Sorceror's Petasos- the hat. ^^ 23 MP, Elemental Magic skill +10, Enfeebling Magic skill +5...and -2 Enmity to boot! ^^

Okay, so maybe it doesn't blow stuff out of the water, and truth be told, by the time you're Level 75, +Elemental Skill isn't so great anymore since a lot of the mobs you fight are VT, which means they will resist less naturally. Thus, a lot of BLMs choose to swap out +Elemental Magic skill gear for +INT gear or Magic Atk. Bonus gear for the extra damage. I still prefer to be resisted as little as possible, although the Elemental skill boosts play a larger role in endgame hunts. Anyway, I digress. I'll probably end up saving for the hat, although I'd have to first reach Dynamis-Xarcabard, then hit BLM75, so....that might take a while. Then again, quite a few BLMs have a significant lead over me in terms of points, so I could at least use the time to try and catch up. Hee...^^ Anyway, all this is moot since no BLM AF2 piece drops in Dynamis-San d'Oria, so I didn't have to worry about whether I should spend my points or not.

So...back to Dynamis-San d'Oria. (I gotta stop getting sidetracked...)

I felt Dynamis-San d'Oria was actually quite easy, possibly because things went smoothly, and we actually had an excess of Black Mages. We occasionally had a large train, especially the section near the Mog House with a lot of SMN mobs, and it was fun to play crowd-control and keep everything still.



At least, I didn't want to die to Carbuncle, of all things...oh, the humiliation...>_<

Some observations about Dynamis-San d'Oria. For one, there were quite a lot of BST or SMN-type mobs for some reason. The BST pets, all Hecteye-type mobs, were also a right pain to Sleep, and I believe it is recommended that Bards go and Horde Lullaby the Slimes since Sleepga II doesn't work very well on them. That's about all I remember, other than noting that both trigger NMs would have to be suicide pulled. Anyway, we wiped once with a pull gone wrong on the second trigger NM. I'm not sure what happened, but Kitsume went to suicide pull, and we managed to provoke the NM out of the train. However, someone got aggro and after we killed the NM, we got a warning from Kisume that something had gone wrong, and we had at least fifteen mobs headed our way. >_<

So we wiped. >_<

Fortunately, we wiped in an area that wasn't too bad, so after some time, we just Raised everybody and went back to business. The fact that we were well ahead of schedule was a nice addition, too. ^^ With both trigger NMs down, we went ahead and killed the {Mega Boss}, which was pitifully easy compared to Jeuno and Windurst. I don't think that many of us died in that fight, and the statue went down remarkably quickly. Having lots of Black Mages is a good thing. ^^



One more Hydra-Corps piece down, and the title, "Dynamis-San d'Oria Interloper" is mine! ^^ All that's left of the first-tier Dynamis is Bastok, which I'll have to do someday. Unfortunately, I think Explorer is going to hit Dynamis-Beaucedine next, so that will have to wait. ; ;

No comments: